By: Kinder, John, 1819-1903; Rodewald, Harry M, fl 1950s-1980s
Description: Single storey thatched roof house, with an outbuilding behind and to the left, viewed through trees. A large exotic tree, possibly a willow is growing to the right of and close to the house. A version of this drawing was reproduced as a lithograph in William Williams' Christianity among the New Zealanders (London, 1867). Copy held at A-256-011. See also A-465-016 for another drawing by Kinder from the same album, of Chapman's Mission house at Maketu; purchased by the Library in 2014 Other Titles - Te Ngae Inscriptions: Recto - bottom left: Title [in indigo ink, in the artist's hand] This mission station was moved from Mokoia Island to Te Ngae, on the eastern side of Lake Rotorua in July 1840. The Reverend Thomas Chapman ran the station for a period then later shifted to Maketu. Quantity: 1 drawing(s). Physical Description: Indigo ink and wash 256 x 364 mm Provenance: Originally in scrapbook purchased from a second-hand shop in Auckland in the 1950s by Mr Harry Rodewald o...