2014 Advisory Board meetings

The DigitalNZ Advisory Board provides advice and guidance on the strategic direction of the services. Some information has been summarised in the following meeting notes.

11 December 2014 2.00–4.00pm

Attending: Bill Macnaught, National Library of New Zealand (Chair); Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Andy Neale, DigitalNZ Manager, Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan; Adrian Kingston, Te Papa Tongarewa

Apologies: Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland, John Truesdale

Also attended: Chris McDowall, Fiona Fieldsend

1. Welcome

  • All those present were welcomed to the meeting.

2. Minutes and actions

  • Minutes and actions of previous meeting were reviewed
  • The risk register was reviewed

3. Wave review (see Wave 22 for context)

  • Andy and team reasonably happy with progress during this busy Wave.
  • B1. People and Places is ½ done because it is dependent on B2 (the upgrade of the core system) which is also ½ complete.
  • C2 was completed. Notable work includes a review of all metadata fields to ensure they are needed. Also the review of the rights & licensing model so we can better articulate rights information to customers.
  • Mark noted the work on SOLR fields and asked if DigitalNZ had spoken with the Common Web Platform team who are using SOLR for search.
  • D2. Andy gave background on Mix and Mash and the slowed progress due to external dependencies.
  • E2. Andy explained that this has not progressed due to issues with funding mechanisms across jurisdictions. However a pilot will be run out of NZ in 2015 – this will mean we can then fundraise for further development.
  • E3. Andy explained there have been discussions with three organisations considering using and tailoring DigitalNZ systems for their own use.

4. 2014 Year Review (see 2014 Year Review and the 2014 Work Plan for context)

  • Andy asked for any queries on the year in review.
  • Mark asked for clarification on work that needs to carry through to 2015. Andy confirmed A4 (Metrics), B1 (People & Places) and E4 (Outreach to Developers).
  • Andy acknowledged Adrian’s contribution over 2014 which was incredibly valuable to the team, to DigitalNZ and to the Advisory Board.
  • Andy also acknowledged that Chris McDowall is now back part of the team based in Auckland and Fiona Fieldsend was welcomed back from parental leave.
  • Mark commented that C2 – Metadata acquisition has had a good result through the year and asked about whether we were close to saturation point now. Adrian talked about the refocus on galleries, libraries, archives and museums (GLAMs) this year because there are still a number of organisations yet to surface their collections.
  • Mark asked how the N4L integration with DigitalNZ is going. Andy explained they have built sets into Pond and that their work with us has helped them figure out their own approach to working with search and integrating other search services.
  • General discussion about the technical challenges of API analytics and drawing out comparisons between different organisations using APIs. Still a work in progress.
  • Rick congratulated the team on the wonderful work they’ve achieved over 2014 despite all the challenges and constraints they’ve had this year. Mark and Keitha endorsed this.

5. 2015 Year Plan (see 2015 Year Plan for context)

  • Andy ran through the 2015 Year Plan in detail
  • We hope there will be a ½ time admin role which will also have responsibility for administering F2 – the intern programme. The intern programme will be a way of working collaboratively and sharing our experience and skills with other organisations. Thereby providing professional development that benefits both DigitalNZ and our partners or potential partners. It was suggested that it might be also be pitched for secondments and internships and there was support for that.
  • Keitha suggested talking with Creative Commons Aotearoa about how they managed their successful internship programme.
  • F1 Value Reporting – Andy: we are aiming to provide more and better information on the value and impact of DigitalNZ. In the first instance this will be for our own use but the plan is for it to be published for all. We want to show how much money is put into DigitalNZ and demonstrate the value that partners, API users and the public get out of easier access to NZ content through DigitalNZ.
  • This activity was strongly endorsed by Keitha.
  • E1, E2, E3 – collaborating with others to deliver on DigitalNZ’s goals. Helping others to develop things that will also benefit DigitalNZ’s services. So we help build features for (and funded by) others, and because we then share open source code, we can then adapt them for DigitalNZ’s service offerings. By working with others in this way we can keep innovating while still under budget constraints.
  • Rick asked what resource we might need to support the API integration work. Is there a risk it might be too heavy on our resources?
  • Andy acknowledged the risk but the aim is to guide the development but not actually doing the build. Other vendors will hopefully get involved in the open source work - so our role would be to support 3rd parties to do the actual build.
  • D2 – Remix. Mix and Mash is just one of the activities we’ll do in the remix space. We will work on a programme of other activities to show the value of open licensing and reuse.
  • D1 – Make it Digital Guides need to be updated and this is a priority in 2015. This could be done collaboratively and possibly as part of the intern programme.
  • C1 – the Metadata Strategy will be updated and we’ll continue to work on new content partners and improving metadata quality.
  • B2 – Infrastructure Support – must be completed so we can scale our architecture for large scale harvests.
  • B1 – People and Places will provide even more value to the DigitalNZ services by linking up data across collections.
  • A3 – we want to show the value and impact of our services through a publicly available analytics dashboard. We have a model drafted and we need to implement it.
  • Rick noted the close relationship between A3 and F1 Value Reporting.
  • A2 – there will be a full programme of community engagement through the year.
  • A1 – continuing to enhance the DigitalNZ front- end experience depending on funding. As mentioned above there is a possibility with collaborating with others so that new features for others can also benefit DigitalNZ.

6. Board Terms of Reference (TOR) (See the TOR for reference)

  • Andy asked for comment on the TOR
  • Rick requested that a clause like: “The Advisory Board has no legal responsibility and no decision making power” be added to the TOR.
  • With this change, it was agreed the TOR continues to be fit for purpose.
  • The Board and the team acknowledged the wonderful support and advice that John Truesdale has provided over the years.
  • There was discussion about a replacement for John Truesdale’s place on the Board.

7. Other business

  • Keitha congratulated DigitalNZ on being a finalist for the Open Source Awards. CEISMIC’s win was acknowledgement of the work that DigitalNZ does to support others.

Thursday 11 September 2014 2:00–4:00pm

Attending: Andy Neale, National Library of NZ (Chair); Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Chris McDowall, Hapara; Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan.

Apologies: Bill Macnaught, National Library of New Zealand; John Truesdale; Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs.

Also attended: Adrian Kingston.

1. Welcome

  • All those present were welcomed to the meeting.

2. Minutes and actions

  • Actions and minutes of previous meeting were reviewed.

3. Wave review (see the Wave 21 review for context)

  • Andy and the team are reasonably happy with their progress this wave.
  • A3. Matapihi, Wellington City Council portal are retired. Housing Research is waiting on final approval will come in next week. Remainder will come out in next few weeks.
  • B1. Brian asked of B1 (People and places) is affected by resourcing. Andy explained we don't have significant funds to contribute to this. We are chipping away at it, ironing and improving. Is also a motivating factor for the team for want to keep it in the workstream.
  • Keitha noted good to see B2 is done. Andy noted team is happy to be getting through these essential but not exciting tasks, and is the silver lining to being maintenance mode.
  • C2. Andy noted a highlight for us was getting the NZDF personnel records in, and pointed the significant bump in traffic at time of launch. And it was a relatively easy for us, and worked well for Archives NZ so worked out well.
  • Rick asked if we have any targets for engagement. Andy, said no, given priority is not in this area at the moment.
  • Rick asked does the maintenance mode affect outreach. Andy said yes, and staff resourcing means Thomasin is just maintaining social media rather than making a significant push, outside of specific project (e.g. M&M).
  • Andy went through the updated year plan. Mark had commented via email to Andy it would be handy to tell what we have (re)planned in wave 22 (not just at the start of year). We’ll look at how to do that.

4. Wave 22 plan (see Wave 22 for context)

  • B2. Andy explained a lot of the work this wave will be about moving DigitalNZ to the most recent version of Supplejack. We'll actually be moving across to the new Supplejack, rather than updating the current DigitalNZ platform. Then we will be synched up with the latest open source package.
  • One piece of work will be getting the NLNZ site to work well with Supplejack.
  • E2. Still blocked. Is partly due to policy requirements while the partner organisations for Asia Pacifica iron out the agreements
  • We’ll also be working with getting relevant pacific material from DigitalNZ to Asia Pacifica, and from Trove, Europeana and DPLA. Also talking to Hong Kong, Japan etc. there are some issues to work through around different cultural ideas around appropriate content, takedown policies.
  • Brian asked about the commercial reuse workstream, and noted how it has dropped off the work plan. Some work is happening in the National Library open data programme side. Also, we're not at full capacity, but should pick up again as Fiona comes back. We also don't have resource right now to do the work that would more easier enable the use of data and keeping it current.
  • D2. Mix and Mash. Andy outlined the successful workshop he and Thomasin had just had with N4L. He was impressed with the turnout and commitment from N4L team. Now working through the details of the project outline, and clarifying how it will work between the two organisations. Competition is open to primary and secondary students only, not open. It is themed around WWI with group based categories, e.g. School year. Possible prizes will come from N4L partners. One of the measures of success is “do we want to do this again next year?”. Possibility of being an annual event, with different themes each year. Still to work out how it will work within the sites etc. Still don't have final details for the Pond timeframe, but confident timing will work with the Mix and Mash timing. Chris asked where the winners will be showcased and stored. Andy said still need to figure it out, but they will need to be public, and showcases would show examples, but we'll find a way to host, or link to you tube etc. Andy went through the new measures of success, but an updated project outline will be circulated (Action).

5. Supplejack demonstration

  • Andy ran through the Supplejack website, and documentation as a background.

6. People and places demonstration

  • Andy talked through the current work on People matching.

Tuesday 17th June 2014 2:00–4:00pm

Attending: Bill MacNaught (Chair); Andy Neale, National Library of NZ; Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Chris McDowall, Hapara.

Apologies: John Truesdale; Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan.

Also attended: Adrian Kingston.

1. Welcome

  • All those present were welcomed to the meeting.

2. Minutes and actions

  • Actions and minutes of previous meeting were reviewed.

3. Wave review (see the Wave 20 review for context)

Wave 20 was impacting by resourcing.
  • A3. 13 services identified, basic analysis done and prioritised. Retirement/migration plans will happen over next two waves.
  • A4. Key metrics across different systems and audiences identified. Implementation held back by funding and resourcing
  • B1. Significant progress: Data service for People concepts has been completed, API in private Alpha. Should be able to demo this next Board meeting. Private alpha rather than beta initially, as using the (new, clean) codebase, rather than the current public DigitalNZ API.
  • B2. Deferred by TSS. Scheduled for next wave.
  • C2. Progress in three areas: open content (LERNZdb, German Digital Library), international (British Parthe, German Digital Library), science (LERNZdb, Biotechnology Learning Hub). DigitalNZ Category review completed, normalisation underway.
  • C3. Conscious choice to postpone due to resourcing.
  • D2. Decision made to not run Mix and Mash in 2014, but instead build new sustainable framework and resources to allow and support others (eg tertiary courses, school groups) to run their own competitions. N4L considering proposal for 2015 joint competition in Pond. Mix and Mash website updated to say no competition in 2014. Keitha asked how this would affect the Community Manager’s role, Adrian explained there would be a shift towards working with a wider group of external partners who are running their own competitions, and of course working with N4L as required.
  • E2. Open source code provided to National Library Singapore, installation of system not yet undertaken by National Library Singapore.
  • E3. Key support was with MCH and the new WW100 search portal, and improving NLNZ harvest and rights metadata. This work improved consistency of rights and usage statements on the NLNZ site, and helped WW100 to identify and highlight out of copyright WW100 material. We also improved project tagging across DigitalNZ content
  • Even with lower resourcing, confident will complete everything by end of year, low possibly to a reduced target, except, C3 with has been removed from year plan.
  • Chris pointed out Developer Outreach (E4) and questioned whether we would achieve anything this year? Does people and places count towards this this? Andy agreed it would.

4. Strategic drivers (see Strategic drivers for context)

  • This was tabled and discussed at previous meeting, but asked for more feedback online before this meeting. Mark provided some, and Andy made some changes. Went through proposed changes to make sure addressed all points.
  • Bill asked whether “content” in point 2, whether that refers to content (objects) or metadata. At this stage DigitalNZ is not excluding content.

5. Service migration/retirement

  • Adrian talked through process of identifying and prioritising underperforming or outdated services, and how many of them are tied together, eg custom search uses the old search.digitalnz.org url. The work for further analyse and consult stakeholders with a proposed plan for each service would happen in the next two waves. All the priority 1 plans would be initiated in the next wave.
  • Bill asked whether NDF needed to be consulted regarding plans for Matapihi. Andy agreed we will get agreement form board before the NDF conference for any plans.
  • Chris asked for clarification on priorities, Adrian explained they looked complicated due to the intertwining of the priority 1 services, and they would need to happen pretty much at the same time, or at least sequence. Priority 2 is not tied to priority 1, but needs substantial planning. Priority 3 and 4 are lower impact.

6. Wave 21 plan (see Wave 21 plan for context)

  • Andy explained we had to resize and reprioritise the wave from the year plan due to upcoming resourcing constraints.
  • A4. Mark asked about the whether we could use the metrics more to support our new proposed business model, eg show that content partner’s content is being used. Consider this when developing the dashboard.
  • B2. General discussion around what the IaaS impact on DigitalNZ would be. It was noted we aren't being virtualised as it can not provide the performance we need.

Monday 31 March 2014 2:00–4:00pm

Attending: Andy Neale, National Library of NZ (Chair); John Truesdale, John Truesdale and Associates; Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan; Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland (via phone).

Apologies: Bill McNaught, National Library of New Zealand.

Also attended: Adrian Kingston, Chris McDowall, Ali Harty, National Library of New Zealand.

1. Welcome

  • All those present were welcomed to the meeting. Bill has sent his apologies and Andy will be chairing the meeting today.

2. Minutes and actions

  • Actions and minutes of previous meeting were reviewed.

3. Wave review (see the Wave 19 review for context)

  • A1 – Two main things were implemented. An issue around infinite scroll was resolved, and new tab based solution for filtering implemented.
  • A2 – Some work was done here that the team have been wanting to do for some time. There is now a history of DNZ page and an about us section on the web site.
  • Several press releases have gone out regarding DigitalNZ’s sixth birthday and Radio NZ becoming the 150th content partner.
  • A4 – There is now a place for plans (year work plan, wave plan and minutes) to go. After this meeting this section will be updated.
  • B1 – Have made some progress here.
  • Andy let the group know that Chris will be leaving the team in the next couple of weeks. Because of Chris leaving, this work has been propelled forward. There is expected to be implementation within the next 10 days (before Chris leaves).
  • Chris has been asked to be on the Advisory Board.
  • Brian asked what will happen to places? Chris said he is taking this as far as he can. He has a design for places and hopes to have a design for events as well. There will be an implementation of people while Chris is still here, then implementation of others after Chris leaves. The concept is extensible to other concepts.
  • Chris will continue working on this over the next couple of weeks. He will have something in place that can be handed over to someone taking on his role, and also the developers.
  • C1 – This will be spoken about more later in the meeting.
  • C2 – Did meet continued growth in at least three areas. All new harvests are going well. The team hoped to have all the legacy harvests into the new platform, but have been blocked by the University of Auckland OAI-PMH paging issue.
  • E1 – Will log on and have a look at the N4L site later in the meeting.
  • E2 – Currently waiting on Singapore to give access to the servers. Therefore this is not complete yet. Chris has been working on packaging up the technology so it can be passed over to someone else.
  • Andy, Chris and Ting travelled over to Singapore and provided some training.
  • A question was asked as to whether Chris leaving is a risk to the Asia Pacific work? Andy said that he doesn’t think it is. The training materials have all been set up already.
  • E3 – The team have been working with MCH around WW100 work. A small amount of work has been done to the system to support the work MCH are doing. Mark asked why (if this story is complete) it is listed as on hold on the register of third party developments? It was explained that the search service request is ongoing, but the request around sets integration is on hold because MCH are not sure whether they want to continue with it. It was noted that this is a call MCH made, not DigitalNZ. Mark suggested that a note be added somewhere around it being ‘requestor on hold’, not that DigitalNZ have put it on hold, as this seems to be the case with all on hold items.
  • F1 – Adrian’s performance plan is in place.
  • Andy briefly spoke about the 2014 DigitalNZ work plan. The only things not completed this wave were E2 (Asia Pacifica support), which is out of DigitalNZ’s control, and B1 (people and places data enrichment), which should be done in the next 10 days.
  • Mark posed the question, that if all things are complete this wave, then why? Was the team more realistic, plan better, or is it just a matter of well done? Yes both. It shows the team are getting good at planning and delivering.

4. N4L demo

  • Chris and Andy showed the Board what the site looks like.
  • When a search is done DigitalNZ results are front and centre.
  • Some filters have been applied. The team have given feedback on different filters that might get better results.
  • Metadata when adding things to the Pond was discussed. It was clarified that when someone drags something into the Pond the only thing that gets copied across is the URL, the metadata doesn’t go with it.
  • Brian asked if content partners need to be informed, so that they can alert someone when one of their collections or something is going to be down. Andy said possibly, and that DigitalNZ may be able to do something to manage this. It was also mentioned that is would be useful for content partners to know when their stuff gets into the Pond. It was noted that content partners should be able to see the URL in their metrics.
  • DigitalNZ are pleased with how this is progressing.

5. DigitalNZ Strategic Drivers

  • A draft document was tabled for review.
  • Some discussion was had but due to running short on time decided to move the discuss further online and retable the final document at next Advisory Board meets (June).

6. Metadata strategy

  • As the meeting is running over time, it was decided that this will also be discussed online.

7. Wave 20 plan (see the Wave 20 plan for context)

  • Andy explained why some stories had been shuffled between waves.
  • B1 – This is seen as continuing work in progress.
  • C3 – This aligns with the Asia Pacifica work. Will be able to bring in more Pacifica material without using any more DigitalNZ resource. Andy will speak with Brian to see if there is anyone at the University of Auckland who would like to be involved in this piece of work.
  • The group briefly spoke about D1 (Refresh make it digital service). Andy said the team will possibly be working with colleagues in Australia around this who are wanting something similar.
  • Brian asked whether the team are doing any work around commercial use. Andy said he expects this to come out of the metadata strategy.

8. Other business

  • Andy noted that there will be a gap in the team (with Chris and Ali leaving), and will not be back-filled in the short-term. Ali’s responsibilities will be split between others, and temporarily Andy will be taking on Chris’s responsibilities. Andy will be looking into a medium to long term options.
  • Google analytics reports for the API were discussed.
  • Rick noted the community statistics would be easier to read in some sort of graph form.