2015 Advisory Board meetings

7 September 2015 12.30–2.30pm

Attending: Bill Macnaught (Chair), National Library of New Zealand; Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Andy Neale, DigitalNZ Manager; Adrian Kingston, Te Papa Tongarewa, Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland, Glen Barnes, My Tours; Claire Amos, Hobsonville Point School; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan

Apologies: Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme

Also attended: Chris McDowall, Fiona Fieldsend, Donna Williams

1. Welcome

Bill welcomed everyone, Claire was welcomed to her first meeting, introductions made and apologies were given for Keitha.

2. Minutes

Minutes, actions and the risk register were reviewed.

3. Wave 25 review
  • Andy asked for a page by page feedback on the review.
  • A2. Community Engagement: Fiona gave a rundown on the gif-making train the trainer workshop that Thomasin is running in public libraries around the country. The main goal was to promote Gif it up but a side benefit was exposing the librarians to DigitalNZ search. Claire asked if there was potential to partner with educational and tech communities. Claire will make some introductions. Brian asked about the work with design students at Victoria University. This involves design students making videos using remixable content discovered through DigitalNZ. The assignment work is ongoing—so no further progress to be reported yet. This is the second year that this has been run.
  • A3. Reporting Dashboard: two types of data are being logged to do with usage and metrics. A story is coming up in the next two weeks which deals with creating an API for those metrics and putting them on page.
  • C1. Metadata strategy: Brian asked about new content being included in NZResearch. Andy has been in contact with Conzul and we will be picking up more discussion about NZResearch in the future.
  • B2. Infrastructure: Brian asked about the DigitalNZ strategies around the full text. Andy said DigitalNZ will be doing work on the infrastructure to create more space so that we bring in more full text from other collections.
  • D1. Make It Digital Refresh: We have a solution in mind but still need to work on the details.
  • E4. Developer Support: Nga Taonga has selected Supplejack to power their new website, along with their online catalogue. We are aware of further interest in Supplejack by another New Zealand public service organisation. We are continuing to work with an international organisation who is testing Supplejack for their own use.
4. 2015 Plan
  • Andy confirmed that the internship programme and the Asia Pacifica pilot will not be worked on this year.
5. Wave 26 Plan
  • The big areas of focus are on the DNZ website and the community repository work.
  • A1. Community Repository Prototype: prototype to be presented at NDF.
  • A3. Reporting Dashboard: we will launch the silent beta this wave.
  • B1. People and Places: the Concepts API is available but there is no documentation or promotion of it yet. One of Chris’s priorities is to get the word out to the developer community.
  • B2. Infrastructure Support: there will be work to deal with Papers Past data more efficiently.
  • D2. Remix Programme: Gif it Up is a big focus. It has been timed to coincide with the school holidays coming up so some communications will come up fairly soon.
  • Asia/Pacifica System Collaboration: Andy provided the update in this area: Community repository work is being prioritised over the Asia Pacifica work. Many of the features that some of the smaller countries are interested in are the same features that we get through community repository work. Eg. Digital materials from Pacific nations may not have a place to go so they need a place to upload stuff.
6. Values Report Update
  • Fiona provided the update: A web survey was run with 106 results, 70% of people said they achieved what they wanted to achieve and we got lots of really interesting responses that will be useful. In terms of the wider values work, Fiona has got some interviews scheduled for next week. The ultimate goal is to have all of this wrapped up by the end of this wave.
7. Community Repository Update
  • Story telling experience has been the main focus of the work that we have been doing recently. We’ve been working through the service design process, developing experience maps and then researching components into various aspects of the experience, wireframing and then handing it over for prototyping.
8. Planning Day
  • Reasoning behind having a planning day: due to a number of things going on, DNZ felt it was necessarily to have more than just the hour breakfast that is normally held.
  • We would value more input from our content partners and we want to give the opportunity to contribute more to DigitalNZ’s strategy and work.

16 June 2015 1.30–3.30pm

Attending: Bill Macnaught (Chair), National Library of New Zealand, Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Andy Neale, DigitalNZ Manager; Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Adrian Kingston, Te Papa Tongarewa, Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland (by video), Glen Barnes.

Apologies: Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan; Claire Amos, Hobsonville Point Secondary School.

Also attended: Chris McDowall, Fiona Fieldsend

1. Welcome

  • Andy welcomed everyone and welcomed Glen Barnes to his first meeting with the Board.

2. Minutes and actions

  • Minutes and actions of the previous meeting were reviewed.
  • The risk register was reviewed.

3. Wave review (see Wave 24 for context)

  • Andy asked for page by page feedback on the review.
  • A1. Andy provided additional context about the collaborative community repository work and the fact it would be covered later in the agenda.
  • Mark noted that it wasn’t completely clear that this user story was where the community content repository work was. Andy clarified that this section is now mainly about the community content work and it was in this section because enhancements for the prototype would mean enhancements to DigitalNZ website.
  • A2. Fiona noted that Thomasin was away but some good work was being done by our Museum Studies Intern: Sarah Powell.
  • B1. People & Places has had good progress, more detail to be covered later in the agenda.
  • B2. Infrastructure support—the completion of the Supplejack migration was significantly larger than initially estimated. This took resources away from other work areas. But we are very pleased to have finally cracked this important piece of work.
  • C1. Fiona noted that although our team had not met the target of 10 new content partners, we had completed some very complex harvests and brought in some valuable new content. We had also provided significant support to the Supplejack migration. Mark pointed out that the board had suggested 10 was a stretch at the last meeting and that we had said we wanted a stretch goal. Mark and the board asked Fiona to tell the team that they were impressed with the hard work and good results they are achieving.
  • Fiona also spoke about the Commercial Use metadata work, which was not scheduled for this Wave but required some focus because of demand from stakeholders. She noted that we had 5 partners allowing commercial use of their data, and more in the wings.
  • Adrian noted that it would be useful to be able to communicate the benefits of releasing the data. Internally it might be hard to convince decision makers to release the data if they don’t see a tangible benefit. Fiona to work up a communication around this now that we do have some tangible benefits.
  • D1. Make it Digital Guides. Andy stated that we had identified someone who could do this work and it would likely be a secondment arrangement.
  • D2. Gif It Up planning is progressing well.
  • E3. Asia Pacifica. We are working with the Asian Art Archive, out of Hong Kong, who are evaluating Supplejack to aggregate contemporary art across Asia.
  • Glen asked about the business model around providing advice to the Asian Art Archive. Andy explained that we want a working model of someone else using Supplejack, so we are doing work to support this.
  • Glen suggested talking to an expert about DigitalNZ’s services being offered overseas.
  • Andy said that at the moment we working on the principle of others using Supplejack so that we can leverage off others’ maintenance and development.
  • Mark encouraged DigitalNZ to consider a revenue stream, for example co-development opportunities.
  • Glen offered to make an introduction to a specific expert.
  • F2: Internship Programme. There is currently no resource to manage this programme, so this work did not progress.

4. Wave 25 Plan (see Wave 25 for context) and Year Plan

  • Mark queried why the Wave 24 plan was less complete. Did we over estimate? General discussion about this—including mention that the Supplejack work was not anticipated to take as much work as it did.
  • Mark noted that part of the Board’s role is to keep DNZ successful and managing optimism bias is an important part of that.
  • Andy provided a commentary through the Year plan and Wave 25 based on the re-estimated planning, and the ways we are offsetting work to manage other priorities. It is a lighter wave because we won’t have Chris for the majority of it.
  • Andy provided more context about the community content work to be covered as part of A1. The Reference Group is working directly with the team to support the development of the prototype—to be launched at NDF in mid-October.

5. Values research

  • Fiona introduced the Values Research and provided an overview of the results. Andy spoke to the value of this and noted that the work has been broadened in scope because we realised how useful it was going to be. For example, we’ve come across examples of API use that we weren’t aware of.
  • Fiona noted that the enduser research may also inform the community content prototyping. She suggested that they would be looking at a short pop up survey similar to the methodology that Te Papa has in place. Fiona will be talking with Adrian about how they’ve gone about this.

6. People and places demonstration

  • Chris spoke to the People and Places presentation he’d put together, explaining that we are trying to establish people records as first class entities in DigitalNZ.
  • Mark asked about Library of Congress as a source. Chris noted that NLNZ manages the New Zealand components of the LOC dataset.
  • Adrian asked how many objects we were expecting to include—100,000s.
  • Glen asked what the potential for this work was. Adrian suggested that it would drive some content partners to improve their metadata.
  • Andy noted that we do still need to work out how we might change the website for this to work for the enduser, but we identified some time ago that the next big value to provide is context and connections.

7. DigitalNZ Day planning

  • October 15—the day after NDF finishes. Please schedule this in your diaries if you are able.
  • Andy spoke about how DPLA and Europeana have community hubs that work in special interest areas and that these contribute to the strategy and development of the wider initiatives. DigitalNZ would benefit from more community leadership and participation to inform our developments.
  • Discussed the option of using the NZ Gather model of collaboratively organising the programme with participants before the session.
  • The board noted that they have shared ownership of the day and should have a role on the day.
  • DigitalNZ team to draft an agenda and ideas for group work for the day.

8. Other business

  • Mark asked for clarification about some of the peaks and flows in the API analytics. Chris explained they could have been Google bots.
  • Glen suggested building in a segment for traffic from schools into our Google analytics.

9. Next meeting

  • September 2015

24 March 2015 1.30–3.30pm

Attending: Bill Macnaught, National Library of New Zealand (Chair); Mark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Andy Neale, DigitalNZ Manager, Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan; Adrian Kingston, Te Papa TongarewaMark Horgan, Department of Internal Affairs; Andy Neale, DigitalNZ Manager(Chair); Keitha Booth, Government Data and Information Re-use Programme; Rick Shera, Lowndes Jordan; Adrian Kingston, Te Papa Tongarewa, Brian Flaherty, University of Auckland

Apologies: Bill Macnaught, National Library of New Zealand

Also attended: Chris McDowall, Fiona Fieldsend

1. Welcome

  • Andy welcomed all in attendance

2. Minutes and actions

  • Minutes and actions of the previous meeting were reviewed
  • The risk register was reviewed

3. Wave review (see Wave 23 for context)

  • Andy asked for page by page feedback on the review.
  • Adrian noted the good progress on the Dashboard development.
  • Mark asked for clarification on the Supplejack work. Chris confirmed that it was confined to the open source project and getting organisations using an instance of Supplejack.
  • Mark asked if Supplejack was useful for others. Andy confirmed there are use cases and there is work required to see if others will use it. Chris gave an example of a newspaper that was interested in it as a journalistic tool for monitoring other sources.
  • Brian asked if there was any risk if we don’t get anyone picking up Supplejack and developing the code.
  • Andy said there wasn’t a risk. The benefit of open sourcing is that it would enable us to develop faster and create new features. If someone comes along and wants the same feature then that’s beneficial for DNZ.
  • Chris also noted that the code has been “aired out” by open sourcing –we’ve had to look at it much more closely before it was released. So the DigitalNZ technology has benefited from that.
  • Brian asked if the opportunity to work with international partners was diminishing.
  • Andy said no – and provided the example of working with an international art archive. We are collaborating with them and they are looking for a platform. We are in a good place to work with them on this.
  • Mark asked how the DigitalNZ Team felt about the Wave over all.
  • Andy – pretty good, everything moved forward. Even the areas that were not complete still had really good progress.
  • Adrian asked how long it would be until we have fully migrated to Supplejack.
  • Chris indicated that it would be around 1 month. Andy clarified that we are also migrating National Library Online’s website to Supplejack and this is not a small piece of work.
  • Keitha commented on the Value Reporting (F1) being ½ done. Andy noted that on reflection it was a more in-depth piece of work that we originally envisaged. We have made good progress though and the methodology has been set up. Fiona will share this with the board.

4. Strategy

  • Andy discussed a proposed new strategy to build community content and storytelling functionality into the DigitalNZ Services. There was detailed discussion on many aspects of this proposal, including how objects might be hosted, DigitalNZ’s ongoing role and moderation of directly uploaded content.
  • Andy explained that we have existing users and content partners that have asked for these features. This is where we want to go based on what our existing customers are telling us. We also have content partners that want to use this to curate online exhibitions.
  • Andy: also noted that traffic has doubled over the last year and we know that film producers, museum curators, book publishers are using Sets for their work. We want to make the service better meet their needs.
  • The Board thought this strategy was generally a good idea and supported DigitalNZ to investigate the options further.. Over the next quarter we are planning and trying to figure out the details of the approach. We will keep in touch with you on progress.

5. Wave 24 Plan (see Wave 24 for context)

  • The group worked through the Wave 24 Plan page by page.
  • Andy: We are putting more effort into A1 – DigitalNZ Website & Mobile Experience & F1 – Value Reporting because it impacting other stuff we were planning to do. Many of the other things are still happening but with a lighter touch. E1 API Integrations & E2 Supplejack Collaborations are not on the board because we want to focus Chris on the B1 People & Places work. Next time you see us there will be something substantial to show you. Our goal is that People and Places will be available to developers to use on June 30 in an open beta.
  • Brian: How is Asia Pacifica is going?
  • Andy: We are building a pilot drawing on relevant content already held within the DigitalNZ systems and using the Supplejack front end that has already been developed. We are doing enough to show the potential so that we can fundraise for further development.

6. Advisory Board Membership

  • There was general discussion about the skills, capabilities and networks that might be useful for DigitalNZ.
  • It was agreed that both expertise and experience in education and someone with a tech/developer background would be ideal.
  • It was agreed to invite two new representativess to the board.

7. Other business

  • No other business

8. Next Meeting

  • June 2015