Strategy

Strategic Drivers

These strategic drivers are used to guide the direction of the DigitalNZ yearly work plan. They summarise the key forces of DigitalNZ’s current strategy, and provide guidance for our planning process over a multi-year horizon.

Driver Strategy guidance
Customer needs
  • Increase the re-use of NZ content, with a primary focus on learners, communities, creators and researchers
  • Deliver a sustainable solution for collecting and sharing community created content
  • Work with our content partners to deliver best practice guides on creating digital content for New Zealanders
  • Make it easier for customers to understand what content is reusable
  • Make it easier for content partners to deliver NZ digital material to their customers and track its usage
  • Diversify access to NZ material through increased use of the DigitalNZ API
Content
  • Prioritise metadata acquisition in defined areas based on gaps and needs
  • Encourage content partners to share more re-usable material, and move up the value chain to support commercial re-use of their metadata
  • Increase findability of content by improving metadata quality, enriching the data and implementing linked open data in a useful way
  • Expand scope of data services to include all records from public catalogues, indexes and archives
Performance
  • Maintain both the speed and availability of data and online services
  • Ensure infrastructure scale keeps pace with user demand and content growth
  • Ensure security risks are managed well with the resources available
Productivity
  • Use evidence from customer testing and research to make iterative improvements to our services
  • Build a Supplejack open source community so we can collaborate and get the most from our resources and take our services further
  • Proactively collaborate with other organisations and communities to deliver on our strategic drivers
People
  • Maintain an environment where the team can excel, innovate, collaborate and break new ground
  • Work with the National Digital Forum to build the digital capability of people in the NZ culture and heritage space

The Strategic Drivers are reviewed annually.

DigitalNZ Values Research

During 2015 we ran a series of research activities to identify the values that our different audiences have for DigitalNZ.

Our DigitalNZ Values Research Results & Analysis provides the detailed results from our research efforts. These research results have contributed to our work ever since 2015.

High level summary of results:

DigitalNZ Partners

  • Most value: being part of a DigitalNZ community, making connections & seeing context across collections, that it is low effort to be a partner, and benefiting from DigitalNZ innovations.
  • Would like: Access to metrics, improved site design & functionality, DigitalNZ to work on authorities and linked open data, more outreach to partners, advocacy on issues like open licensing, DigitalNZ continue innovating (the metrics dashboard was established in 2016, and the site design and functionality has been revised in 2017).
  • Above all, DigitalNZ Partners value that DigitalNZ increases the exposure of their items to others and being part of the DigitalNZ Content Partner Community. We also found examples of partners that would not otherwise have collections freely online if it weren’t for DigitalNZ.

DigitalNZ API Users

  • Most value: Diversity of data, simplicity of data and openness of data.
  • Would like: Linked open data/authorities, more examples & guidance.
  • Above all, DigitalNZ API Users value that the DigitalNZ API is available for anyone to use and that they are able to access interesting data using the DigitalNZ API.

DigitalNZ Website Users & Searchers

  • Most value: The diversity of sources, saving research time, free access for all, ease of use.
  • Would like: More content, an updated site design, improved search, better results display and more instructional guidance.
  • 79% of respondents scored their experience 6/10 or above.
  • 70% of the web survey respondents said they were able to complete the purpose of their visit. The remaining 30% noted that either the content they wanted wasn’t available or they had some difficulty with searching.

DigitalNZ Strategy Days

The DigitalNZ Days were held in Wellington on 15 October 2015 and Auckland on 26 February 2016 . During these sessions people from a wide range of organisations came together to share their thoughts on the future of DigitalNZ and to talk about how DigitalNZ could work more collaboratively.

The DigitalNZ Day notes (Google doc) provide a high-level record of the workshop.

Read the Wellington DigitalNZ Day Notes and the Auckland DigitalNZ Day Notes (Links open a Google Document)