This item comes fromAlexander Turnbull Library
and is part of their collection TAPUHI
Please view the item on their site for the definitive information on how it can be used.
Barrett, Fenwick, 1908-1996
Derelict house at Paihia, built for Prominet Nga Puhi leader Rawiri (David) Taiwhanga 1831, to replace his raupo hut which burnt down in 1829. First European style house to be erected for a prominent Maori (see DNZB v.1 p. 417 T4). After Taiwhanga moved to Kaikohe in 1834, the house became the base for the printery of the Church Mission Press. There, William Colenso worked the first printing press in New Zealand, which arrived in New Zealand on 30 December 1834. The house was vacated when Colenso moved the press to the stone house lately vacated by William Williams late in 1839. View of the house is obscured by a tree. Taken by an unidentified photographer. Image used in 'Letter from the Bay of Islands; the story of Marrianne Williams' ed. by Caroline Fitzgerald (Penguin 2004, facing page 79) The printing press was brought ashore on two canoes lashed together with a platform built across the gunwhales. Quantity: 1 b&w copy negative(s).
1 b&w copy negative(s), Negatives, Orientation: Horizontal image