McCleverty's reserves of 1847 underlay the history of Wiremutaone / Kinapora sections 7, 8, 9 and their links to Te Aro Pā and Pipitea Pā
McCleverty awards : sections in vicinity of Ngauranga, ( Sections 6, 7, 8, 9, 10) and Wiremutaone : Te Aro Deed no. 2 Plan (describes part of the Native Reserve 7 and the whole of 8 Kinapora District, also Native Reserve No. 91 in the Ohariu District to the North of which is Unsurveyed Land, the whole containing 290a. Or. 26p.
William McCleverty as artist
Te Aro Pā: Ngati Haumia was awarded compensatory reserves at Kinapora / Wiremutaone, sections Part 7 and whole of 8 (- most of the land lying between Raroa and Johnsonville Station)
As Ngati Mutunga departed for Wharekauri from Matiu, Patukawenga handed Ngauranga to his whanaunga of Te Atiawa: Rawiri Matangi, Manihera Te Toru, Hirini Nukutaia, and Pipitea to Ropiha Moturoa, Wi Kingi Wairarapa (and his own son Ngake).
McCleverty reserves awarded in 1847 for Te Atiawa at Pipitea Pā
No. 2. Part of the Town Belt bounded on the West by the Kai Warra Warra District, on the South West by section 30 Karori District, on the North by the Town Belt, and on the East by the Karori Road and Town section containing 80 acres.
3. Part of Kaiwharawhara Block. [134 acres.]No. 3. Part 500 acres block on the Western side of the Kai Warra Warra River bounded on the West by the part which belongs to Te Ringa Kuri and on the North by another portion belonging to Ohariu Natives the part given to the Pipitea Natives contains about one hundred and thirty-four-acres.
4. Sections on Porirua Road. [221 acres.]No. 4. A Block of Land on the Porirua Road comprising part of No. 7, and the whole of No. 9, Native Reserves in the Kinapora District containing in all two hundred and twenty-one acres bounded on the West by the Karori Road for fifty chains more or less, on the North by No. 10, section for fifty-eight chains more or less, on the South by No. 6 section for forty five chains and on the East by sections 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . Harbour District for the distance of seventy-one and a half chains.
In those early days, the main route to Porirua was a track winding up Kaiwharawhara Valley, along the tops of the hills to Johnson's clearing and then down among the thick bush to Tawa.
The land at the top of Ngauranga Gorge was settled first by Frank Johnson, who migrated on the ship Adelaide. He set about clearing and cultivating "Johnson's clearing" in the early 1840s but the McCleverty Reserves lying between Raroa and Johnsonville Station were not settled by Te Aro's Ngāti Haumia until late 1890s.